View Single Post
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Rich,
Not to be nit-picky or to play "word games", but I believe we both have the same mechanics in mind; phrased a bit different is all. If you "read between the lines" of my reply to Dave, you'd see that the PU does take all fly balls unless the BU goes out. The BU (from the A-Position)would/should rarely if ever go out if the Centerfielder is stationed straight away (behind 2nd base) and left field.

In the situation of the home run/ground rule double, as the PU I realized immediately that the fly ball was heading in the direction of the Centerfielder and at an angle for which I was responsible . . . and that my partner was not going out.

Dave had asked why the BU didn't go out. That was the reason for the reply. In all honesty, it wouldn't have made any difference as to why he didn't go out. I would have had to make a call in any case. In this instance, I already knew where my partner was and what he was doing . . . watching the runner. Likewise, he already knew where I was . . . because we had covered it in our pre-game. It was for that very reason we had no difficulty in "selling" the ground rule double to the irate coach; because HE (the coach) knew that both of the officials were doing exactly what they were supposed to be doing.

God bless.

Jerry