View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
Is it possible, in any state, for some random dude to walk in off the street wearing stripes and ref a game? Or does everyone have to be registered with the state?.
Honestly, I have done EXACTLY that, albeit in a different sport. I was attending a Freshman baseball game out of state to watch a family member play. They had a baseball game and softball game going on fields close to each other (walking distance). The baseball game had 1 umpire through two innings.

I have no idea how this communication happened, but apparently my family member's dad made it known to the softball people that I had many years under my belt for both youth and HS softball - and one of the umpires there apparently did both - so he came over and did the rest of the baseball game and I did the bases for the softball game. I even had a shirt and pants, although not my official shoes (or indicatorcrutchaclicker or brush) - I worked in the tennis shoes I was wearing, and felt funny about it the whole game.

The interesting thing to me was that while I never filled out diddly for paperwork - they got my info from the family member and sent me a $90 check.

West Houston Mike