View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
With no runners on, if 1BU chases on a ball to right field and the ball gets passed the right fielder and the BR attempts a triple, the ideal position is to remain outside the diamond for the play at 3rd base. Should there be a rundown, it also results in one umpire being inside the diamond (plate umpire) and one remaining outside the diamond, which is preferable for a rundown.

I'm not saying it is impossible to get the call right at 3rd base if 3BU comes inside. I'm saying that it is easier to stay outside. Coming inside offers no advantage. You don't need a protractor to realize that the angle is better staying outside than coming inside. Staying outside gives you a wider, clearer and easier view of the playing field, right fielder, runner and ball.

This is if there is no initial play on the BR at 2nd base.
IMO, your assertion that the outside is a clearer or easier view is not accurate. What are you going to see outside that I will not see inside? I will have the defense, offense, ball and base in front of me.

Staying outside gives you a weak angle for a potential play @ 2B that may require some fancy footwork to get the right angle for a clear view at the play. Being inside can give the umpire an effortless 90 to any throw from the right side and a great look at a play on either side of the base. Also allows and easy and quick conversion from one base to the other depending on the play. Please note that just because I would be coming inside, doesn't mean I'm running to the middle of the field. Once I enter the diamond, I'm reading the play and like any other, move to the best position for the most likely, if any, play.

Outside may work out quite well for the routine plays. I'd prefer to stay a step ahead and prepare for the non-routine plays and I think the inside just offers a better opportunity to adjust.