View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 12:49pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
SITUATION 1: The pitcher, while standing on the pitcher's plate taking her signal from the catcher, tosses the ball back and forth between her glove and pitching hand several times. Once she receives the signal, she then brings her hands together and pitches the ball. RULING: The ball must remain in one hand or the other while the pitcher takes or simulates taking the signal. If she is tossing the ball back and forth from one hand to the other while taking the signal, it would be considered an illegal pitch (for not taking the signal with the ball being held in one or the other). The illegal pitch would be called the first time the pitcher’s hands come together and then separate while tossing the ball back and forth. COMMENT: If the pitcher flipped the ball back and forth between the hand and glove without actually bringing the hands together, then held the ball in the hand or glove while taking the signal and started the pitch, her actions would be legal. (6-1-1a,b)
So, explain to me what they're really saying in Situation 1.

Are they saying a pitcher in contact with the rubber but not receiving the signal (or pretending to receive the signal) can toss the ball back and forth, but then she must stop tossing it back and forth when she looks in to receive the signal?

I always thought that once the pitcher contacted the rubber, she could not switch the ball from her hand to her glove at all. Situation 1 seemed to agree with my belief until I read the Comment.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker

Last edited by Manny A; Mon Feb 25, 2013 at 01:20pm.