View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 20, 2013, 11:01pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lshoemak View Post
As it was applied in this game, could someone explain to me why (1) the WSU coach was permitted to request a monitor review of a non-call?

Per rule 2-13.2.d.1.b: "A coach may request a monitor review to determine if any of the fouls in 2-13.2.d.1 occurred." However, no such foul was called. Plus, per 2-13.2.d.1, no elbows were thrown.

As I see it:
- The WSU coach had no right to be awarded a monitor review since no elbows were thrown.
- Since no foul was initially called, you can't assess a foul "after the fact" following monitor review that was not initially called, only the severity of a previously-called foul.
- If the non-called foul is assessed after the fact, how could the subsequent WSU foul also be assessed?
- The rules are pretty clear regarding for what & when monitor reviews are permitted. None of the prerequisites existed in this case.

They blew the initial non-call of the kick (& it was only in the chest, not in the head as others have suggested) & then mis-applied (some would say "made up") rules to bail themselves out.
1. There doesn't have to be a foul called for a coach to request a monitor review for the types of fouls mentioned in the rule. You posted the rule. It's pretty clear. It doesn't say that's a requirement.
2. The "there wasn't an elbow thrown" has no bearing on this play - doesn't matter either way for the review to be done or not.
3. The elbow issue parts of that rule you quoted refer specifically to NCAA-W games only.
4. They didn't misapply a rule. They applied it correctly. They made the error of allowing the wrong shooter. And are being held accountable for it.

Edit to include this: You're treading on thin ice being so overtly critical of the officials when you clearly don't understand the rules you're trying to judge them by. Learn and understand the rules before you post about them.

Last edited by HawkeyeCubP; Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 11:04pm.