View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Runners aren't expected to vanish, duck, dive, veer or peel off the instant they're retired.
However, they are expected (explicitly by rule) to not interfere. Remember, the act does not need to be intentional:

Quote:
NCAA 12.19 Interference is an act that denies a defensive player a reasonable opportunity to make a play (field/throw) anywhere on the playing field. The act may be intentional or unintentional, . .

NCAA12-19-5 A base runner, after being declared out or after scoring, may not interfere with a defensive player's opportunity to make a play on another base runner.
Yes, umpires discuss this play all the time. I'm surprised someone hasn't said "if she was doing what she was suppose to do . . ." Well, she suppose to not interfere.

I'm a pretty hard line guy on this, and I teach the hard line stance. The key to Bret's language is "instant" -- anything longer than an instant, I've got interference. For example, in the linked video, yes, interference (that was way more than an instant). The other one was the Tennessee player (shown in the SUP online clinic). I've got interference on that one too, and that was real close to "instant." You don't have to give yourself up, but you cannot interfere.

I only posted the NCAA rule, but the same in all codes.

Yes, I know. Other will disagree.

Last edited by Big Slick; Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 03:26pm.