View Single Post
Old Fri May 16, 2003, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Who said anything about coaching?

I never said anything about coaching. And, as much as I would want to say something in a coaching way to a player, I never would. If I see something a player is doing that may lead to a safety violation, I will speak to the coach and let him handle it. However, if they are LEARNING a game, which, in Little League, THEY ARE, we should let them play that way during the regular season. Again, I don't feel I am being arrogant by reminding all of us why we are on the Little League field. It is for the kids. And, if a player feels it is important to bring to my attention that the ball went over the fence on the fly instead of on the bounce, we have a home run. Something so obvious should not be ignored. I have eaten my share of calls and will continue to do so. It is on an extremely rare occasion that I would change a call in this manner.

Let me remind you, I am speaking only of Little League (Majors (11-12)and below), during the regular season. In post-season tournaments and playoffs, the learning time is over and time to get more competitive. Much like school, there is a lesson time and then time for the test. There are no balks at this level, but yes, I would, and do call illegal pitches when I see them, and I also will not hesitate to call a balk in the upper levels.

I umpire kids from 11-18 years old. I expect players above majors, in post-season tournaments, and in playoffs to know how to play the game and be properly coached. I would never change a call in those situations based on input from anyone other than my partner, and then only if I asked them.

You said:

"It is the Umpire's RESPONSIBILITY to execute the rules as stated in the rulebook used by the league he is working for, and as interpeted by him. Now things are not always black and white and I understand this."

I agree! The rulebook states a homerun is a batted ball leaving the park on the fly in fair territory. You, for whatever reason, didn't see it (Were you out of position? Where was your partner?). Obviously, the defensive player saw it, and, by your description, so did all the other people on the field and spectating. Why not change your call? Things are not always black and white, and umpires are not always right. When given an opportunity to not be wrong, you should take it. Nothing in the rule book prevents you from doing that (with the exception of certain calls, "foul" being one of them).