View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 18, 2013, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I was wondering if others do the same thing we do around here. As it has been stated before by me, our state does assignments from IHSA office. And as a result a lot of conversation or talk is about what will happen with those assignments, either personally or what will happen with others. I was wondering if officials on this site or it is common that you (or a social group of you) try to figure out who is going where and where they might be going? We also have "unofficial" websites that track where officials are going in both football and basketball and people spend a lot of time either tracking or trying to figure out what might happen. I was just wondering is that common or do people not care?

Peace
In the St. Louis area I can’t say that officials spend a lot time speculating or discussing playoff assignments prior to them coming out. It is not that officials don’t care; it would nothing more than an exercise in futility trying to guess anything.

From the sectional level and beyond the assignments are handled by the State Activities office. Very little information is available regarding the process and any speculation would be just that, speculation.

After the fact is a different story. There is the usual moaning and groaning about who got what assignment or didn’t get an assignment. Which I am sure goes on most everywhere.

From what I can tell Illinois has a more structured process and the progression through it seems more logical. In Missouri it is not uncommon for an official of seven or eight years make it to the finals. Based on what I know about Illinois that would extremely improbable.