View Single Post
Old Fri May 16, 2003, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

RecRef
A. Small number of anybody can do anything, so your first complaint to me sounds a little picky. If the number is small, you should be satisfied and thank that small number for showing their ignorance. Helps you ignore the other comments they make.

B. Windmilling the arms is also something I rarely see. And I like my players back from the line as a general rule, especially for baseline inbounds to get space for an over the top pass. You'd be surprised what a difference those few feet make. So again, if you don't know what we want to do offensively, I don't want your philosophy on how close my player stands to the line.

C. If a player is entitled to a space and appears to be hindered from getting it by an oponent occupying that space, you help correct it. In women's rules, if A tries to take a third space when they can only have two, you correct it. Under NF rules, if A lets B have a space that she could have, oh well. Not your job. Most refs don't fix this, and most coaches know or learn that they need to teach their players to demand the proper space. Again, small numbers won't, and they probably aren't doing lots of other things they need to do.

As for correcting a player if they complain, that's your call. If they act like jerks and you want to help them anyway, that's probably OK, but it's also OK to give them a short answer and move on because they don't appear to be in listening mode anyway. If they complain and you respond so coach complains, just ask him if he would prefer that you T his player.