Thread: Time out
View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 15, 2013, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny mulkey View Post
I find that interesting. Of course, it has never really been explained to me the origination of our rule, directive, guideline or whatever we call it when it comes from the State office.

What is the NCAAW rule?
A.R. 256:

In a game without a courtside monitor, the score is tied when the referee calls a shooting foul on Team A’s unsuccessful attempt:

(1) At approximately the same time as the game-clock horn sounds to end the game; or

(2) With four seconds remaining on the game clock.

RULING:

(1) When the official determines that the foul occurred before the sounding of the game-clock horn, and signals for the clock to stop and the timer fails to stop the clock, a timing mistake has occurred and the official shall put time back on the clock as to when the foul was called. In this case, A1 is awarded two free throws. When A1 makes the first shot, the game is over. However, when the official signals for the clock to stop and it is so near the expiration of time that the timer is unable to stop the clock, this is not a timer’s mistake and time should not be placed back on the game clock. When the official determines that the foul occurred before the sounding of the game-clock horn, A1 is awarded two free throws. When A1 makes the first shot, the game shall be over. On a foul that occurs near the expiration of time, officials must determine that the clock did not stop when the whistle sounded because a timing mistake occurred or because it was so near the expiration of time that the timer is unable to stop the clock. In the first case, time is put back on the game clock and in the second case, it is not.

It's also covered in AR 146.

And, I think it's for both NCAAW and NCAAM