View Single Post
Old Fri May 16, 2003, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Originally posted by SC Ump
Man, you'd think somebody told you guys your dogs were ugly.
I don't follow the politics / infrastructure of NFHS and its relationship to the various states very closely, but I was wondering the same thing, Dan... - what's the big deal about a state adopting a local rule? I suspect some of the reaction is more the specific local rule, rather than local rules per se. Most umpires consider these appeal plays to be a part of the nature and tradition of the game.

Anyway, funny line!
In most cases, it's called being part of an association. Just like joining an umpire's association. When you do, you agree to follow their constitution and by-laws.

Not only that, but as we witness in many tournaments (though Fed rules don't usually apply in this situation), teams are often put at a disadvantage when they leave their area and have to play by the real rules. This happens often in regional tournament where teams think that if that the way it is done locally is the same way it is done everywhere.

I have no problem with non-safety issue rule variations if thats what everyone in the state agrees to do, but I doubt the teams, coaches and umpires were polled prior to this decision.

BTW, I have two good looking Golden Retrievers. My dogs ain't ugly

JMHO,