View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 14, 2013, 03:06pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
You can enter the game on offense without immediate participation. Same on defense. Here is your example #1:
One the last play of an inning, #3 gets injured while recording the last out. She is due to bat 7th that inning. The coach informs you that #8 will be replacing her. Are you going to not allow the coach to make that substitution? And if she doesn't bat, wouldn't that become a defacto defensive substitution? There is at least one rule code that REQUIRES a substitution at that point (NCAA)

Oh, then there is example #2: on the last play of the inning, #3, while recording the last out, is ejected (for what ever reason). ASA and NCAA both REQUIRE a valid substitution to continue, which means a player enters the game without immediate participation.
You've provided two extraordinary circumstances that, without delving into rulebooks right now, have specific mandates in the codes that deal with them. I'm sticking to the basics that you would routinely see during games.

We'll just have to A2D on this. Like I've said before, during the course of a game, I've never accepted projected substitute batters, projected courtesy runner entries, etc. etc., and I've never had a coach complain to me when I've asked him/her to wait until the substitute actually enters the game.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker