View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 14, 2013, 09:55am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
As somebody that has worked umpire and will be a U this year on my crew, this is a great analogy. Different sport but same concept. Hold your spot and let the play run around you. Not moving is usually the better bet but sometimes you just have to sack up and go for the ride along with everybody else.
I've been the Umpire on my football crew for several years. How you move depends on how the play develops. Most of the time, you want to stay where you are at the snap. If the pile/scrum comes toward you, take a step or two sideways. If the hole opens up in front of you and the runner is running directly towards you, freeze and get as skinny as you can. Your brain will be screaming "BACK UP", but that's the worst thing you can do, because then all you're doing is lead-blocking for the runner.

It's a feel thing... took me about half a season to start to figure it out.

I'd apply the same principle to basketball... there's no doubt that the tosser is vulnerable during/immediately after the toss. The best thing to do is hold your position until you have a clear path out of there to your new trail position.