View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 14, 2013, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
So let me get this straight. I mentioned this in a previous post.

Defensive coach comes to me between innings while he has #5 throwing her five warm-ups from the circle. He says, "Blue, I want to enter #10 who is over there in my bullpen as pitcher for #5 this inning. She'll start pitching when their #44 comes up."
The umpire's response to the coach should be: "Coach, give me the change when it happens."

Quote:
I have to take that substitution and announce it to the opposing coach?
WHEN the change is given to you.

A substitution takes place when it is provided to the umpire, not when a particular scenario occurs or any other particular point in the game arrives. This way, when the coach changes his/her mind because the anticipated scenario did not occur, there is no excuse of forgetting to rectify the situation.

Like in football where they inform the official that as xx:xx left on the clock, they are going to request a time out. However, they must still inform the official of the request AT THE TIME it occurs.

Coach wants to give you a heads up on a possible change, that is fine, but that is not the change.