Thread: Foul calling
View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 10:14am
Get away from me, Steve.

2 years ago, I was working a non-conference girls game at a school where we'd worked at least 2 games a season for the last 5 seasons. One of the starters was the AD's daughter and the "star" player was the daughter of an official in the area.

The official's daughter was prone to foul trouble and had four fouls early in the fourth quarter. With the ball up high and me the lead (2-person) opposite the ball, the official's daughter set an illegal screen just off the periphery of my partner, who was on ball. It was a screen that freed a drive and I came and got it. The coach was not happy and neither, apparently, was the AD. The coach wondered why I was looking there (who else is going to get an off ball foul out of the vision of the on-ball official?).

I have not worked a game at that school since. My regular partner continues to get emails for games there and I've been removed from the list.

I'm just a bit annoyed at that mentality and quite a bit more amused. In the end, it doesn't matter since I only have 6 girls games left in my career and that school is well over an hour from where I live. I can live without it.