Thread: Foul calling
View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
I called a foul on Visiting teams start last night in the 2nd Q, It was her 3rd foul. The first I had called on her.

At half time my partner, the R comes to me and tells me that if I have a choice to call the foul on someone around her give it to them because people don't want to see the stars foul out. While I have heard this before, I have always given the foul to the person I see commit the foul.

He later did just what he said he was going to do, clearly the star fouled the girl going to the basket, he gives it to her team mate, it was the team mates 4th foul.
Thoughts?
I recently had a conversation with a assoc. member who was working a GV game where the star player for Team A had four fouls. During a timeout, this guy tells his partner to make sure A1(star player) deserves her fifth foul. Two minutes later A1 bumps B1 on a rebound and knocks her down to the ground. The P of the guy I am talking with whistles with a fist in air, thinks for a second and opens his hand and calls a travel. The gym erupts along with Team B's HC!(rightfully so)

Needless to say, the guy is rethinking how he worded the conversation with his P, and I suggested that the conversation doesn't need to happen at all.

My suggestion to him was to apply some preventative officiating before the incident by speaking with A1 and reminding her of her foul trouble and to be smart, but after that we have to call the plays without bias. Thoughts on that?