View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwestref View Post
Did I say partner? I was meaning the crowd and the coaches. The thing is, there was no slide by the defender. The Trail demonstrating a slide was a fabrication. It's something that clearly did not happen, but the Trail used it to sell the call. That's what I think is "arrogant" -- to demonstrate something happening that clearly did not happen.

The only person claiming that is a "really close call" is the Trail in this very video. I have a PC foul, you have a PC foul, others in this thread have an "easy PC" foul. What he is trying to sell, is a wrong call. Which in this case he needs to demonstrate a slide which did not happen.

When I say I would be flipping my ish, I mean internally. I would of course back up my partner, but would hope that I would not have to point out his error, but would have someone more senior do that. In a close game, this call could have an impact on the outcome, which could have been avoided if the Trail trusted his P to make the correct call.
I'm not going to lambast the official if that what's he really thought he saw...it happens to everyone. Sometimes you see something that you honestly thought happen, and just didn't plain happen. I've seen D-I and NBA official call trips that didn't happen at all...and sell it to everyone in attendance....it's not different (strictly speaking signalling here). If he really thought he saw the defender slide in late, then I have no problem with trying to show that in his signaling (though he should tone it down a bit)...and I wouldn't call it arrogant.

Second part, I say it's a really close play in the mind of the trail. In his mind, he has a really close block/charge play...saw something subtle...and felt he had to sell it. Of course, it doesn't help, upon replay, that he got the play wrong. And his mechanics were off as well as far as who should have first crack at this play.

Finally, I'm still not going to flip on a call like this...internally or externally. I feel like this call isn't flip your sh** worthy. It would just be something I'd discuss with my partner after the game.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.