View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 11:30am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
The rule cite is the tricky part...

We have rules for runners hit by batted balls or thrown balls. But I'm not finding anything concrete that covers a batter-runner hit by a deflected pitch/loose ball.

Obviously, if the B/R intentionally kicked the ball she would be out. I threw in the "intentional/unintentional" option just looking for input if "intent" even plays a part in this call.

The conversation this generated at one of our meetings ranged from "it's nothing, live ball, play on", to "it's interference, batter-runner is out (regardless of intent), to "dead ball, place B/R on first base".
I would go with the "Live Ball, Play On" group, unless it was done intentionally.

My rationale is this: A runner is not expected to avoid being contacted by a batted ball that has been deflected by an infielder. So why should we hold him/her to a higher responsibility on a pitched ball that has been deflected by the catcher?

Of course, that argument goes out the window on a dropped-third strike. I never could understand the rationale with that one...
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker