Thread: Turnback
View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 07, 2013, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Turnback

Well, it was bound to happen eventually. In 24+ years, I had never once turned back an assignment. Injury, sickness, death in the family, the timing had always worked out so that I was able to work every assignment.

Until now.

We all have aches and pains, especially this late in the season. Left knee was bugging me a bit but nothing more than any other ache or pain. Then, in the second quarter of a boys varsity game on Tuesday night, the pain suddenly became more severe. A partner noticed the change in my gait and asked me at a timeout what was going on. Told him about the sudden pain on the inside of my left knee. He told me not to worry, that he and my other partner would adjust and keep me at C as much as possible. We finished the game.

Came home, iced it, 20 on, 20 off. Got up Wednesday morning and though it would get better as the day went on but it didn't, so around 11am, I called the supervisor and turned back my GV/BV doubleheader for last night. Kept up with the ice treatments and Advil last night and this morning.

Fortunately, the doctor who did my mom's knee replacement has a son who plays and he sees me quite often. Said if I ever needed to see him on short notice, just call his assistant. So today, I did. Thankfully x-rays show no bone issues and my knee appears to be solid. Although he didn't prescribe an MRI, he doesn't think there's a tear and diagnosed it as a sprained MCL. Keep it elevated, Mobic for inflammation, some stretching exercises and plenty of intermittent ice. Said to give it a few days and resume officiating when I feel comfortable toing so.

Sorry so long but it's my first time sidelined, so I'm venting. I wonder how often are others injured to the point that you have to turnback games?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Wed Dec 24, 2014 at 11:54am.