Thread: xtreamump
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I believe that when reading a question like this, we must assume that things that happen before the supposed play were ruled upon correctly. So the 8-run thing being not invoked implies that there was a proper reason for it not to be invoked.

Using that as a given, I have TRUE as the answer to this question. (And a FAIL for the coach, who could have simply told her to sit on the base until they reset for the next pitch, and then step (or fall) off before the pitch, letting her be called out.

(I played a game once in my youth where our pitcher BROKE HIS LEG while swinging the bat ... and then played an inning in right field --- and threw out a player at the plate when a hit rolled right to him.)
I see your point, and I'd have to say that generally when we get together as a study group (4-7 umps) for our pre-season rules test review it's probably a 5 to 2 split in opinion on questions written in this manner.
The majority share your view Mike as to how to look at what the question is asking. I always seem to be advocating the other point of view, as I am here.

Where I'm going to disagree with you is on the part that I bolded.

What (and the OP was talking an NCAA game) could have been a proper reason for the umpires not invoking the Eight Run Rule (6.13)?

I can come up with an improper reason.....

Let's assume that the umpires and the HC all had collective 'brain lock' at the point after five or more equal innings that Team A went ahead by 8 runs. Now the sitch posted in the OP occurs and the umpires are going to call the game as per 6.19.1.7 and award a 7-0 win by forfeit to Team B.

They now have made, by rule, two mistakes. To me, that makes the answer FALSE.

To support my conviction, (and in the way of full disclosure), I took the test on which this specific question appeared.....well you know what I put down for an answer.

BTW, there were one or two (IMO) other questions on that test written in the same manner which resulted in a spirited discussion and inevitable disagreement as to the intent of the question. Which when you think about it,
is not a bad thing.