View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 02:03pm
Stirrer of the Pot

NFHS Examples of Batter Interference

I'm preparing a presentation to give a NFHS rules class next week. I'm responsible for covering Rule 7 on Batting.

Rather than the typical rules briefing that I've seen in many clinics, where the slides basically regurgitate the rules as written in the rule book, I'm providing examples of how the rules are applied. The one I'm struggling with is for 7-4-4 on batter interference.

The examples I've come up with so far are, but not sure if they really apply, are:
- She leans into a throw
- She moves out of the box and hinders the throw to a base
- She moves into the catcher and causes her to throw wild or abort the throw
- She hits the catcher with her follow-through swing
- She does not leave the batter’s box and hinders a play at the plate

Are any of these wrong? Are any others missing? Some I'm not sure of include when:
= she swings and her follow-through hits a loose ball (as opposed to hitting the catcher)
= she backs out of the box and kicks a loose ball as a runner from third tries to score
= she backs out of the box and falls over the catcher who is trying to pick up the loose ball as a runner from third tries to score
= she does vacate the box on a loose ball as a runner tries to score, and she still gets in the path of a throw back to the pitcher

Thanx in advance!
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker