Thread: MEN OR WOMEN
View Single Post
Old Wed May 14, 2003, 09:47am
Do not give a damn!!

This discussion is not just for lawyers.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

I'm not a lawyer but I believe the case hinges on race based preference simply because the constitution explicitely outlaws race as a means of discrimination - ie it says nothing about "legacy", where you live, etc.
I understand what the case is about, but my point is that people get so outraged over a factor like race, but you do not get upset over another preference which involves race. There are not many "Upper Peninsula" people that look much like me. I would also bet that the majority of legacies are not African-American either. Espcially when there was a time that African-Americans were not allowed in Michigan or any of the other major Universities in this country. Do not say (I am not saying you specifically, for the record ) that merit should be your only factor for considering "qualifications," but you consider factors of previledge which have undertones of race involved.

BTW, my Mother who recieved her Ph.D from Michigan, recieved her undergrad at Florida A&M University, was not allowed to attend the University of Florida in Grad School, because of segregation or because of her race. She was given money (by the State of Florida) to go out of state, but not allowed to attend Universities in her home State of Florida. She went on to attend the University Of Wisconsin at Madison for her Masters and went on the Michigan for her Piled, high and Deep. And this example is just one of many of why people are for the University of Michigan and other universities that have racial considerations for admissions.

Peace