Thread: MEN OR WOMEN
View Single Post
Old Wed May 14, 2003, 08:42am
Do not give a damn!!

Question Give you something to think about.

Quote:
Originally posted by BBall_Junkie

Yes you did start some stuff, because that statement makes no sense whatsoever. And of course JRutledge "totally agrees" because he is used to arguing points that make no sense as well.
Of course it does not make sense to you, it is not your way of thinking.

Quote:

What does the color of ones skin or the plumbing in ones body have to do with whether or not someone has the ability to officiate a game?
The exact same as where an official lives, what school they graduated from and what school they support (giving money to an Athletic Program for example) might play apart in what conferences you might be able to work or not. Cooperate America does this all the time. Ask Walgreens why when I go to their stores on 53rd and Ashland (Englewood area, All-Black community), why the entire staff is African-American? But when I come to the Western Suburbs, there are not one African-American in the entire store? Ya think it might be because Walgreens recognizes their customer base would like to see people like themselves working behind the counter? I was a Manager for a Walgreens Store (the Ashland one BTW) and that is exactly the objective that Walgreens lives by. Walgreens in Manager training would instruct the hiring of staff based on factors that reflected the community the store would be located. I am sure the Assignors of Conferences try to accomplish the same thing. You might have to tell McDonald's and Burger King the same thing, if you feel race has nothing to do with their marketing or hiring practices in certain communities.

Quote:

This is probably not the right forum to discuss this topic. It just chaps me when people say that people should be assigned to games because of their gender or race and not because of merit alone! Off my soapbox now.
Well merit is a fallacy. Just try to apply to college an not indicate where you live, who your parents are (did they attend that school or not), what your background is and yes, what your race is. Even if the Supreme Court rules against the University of Michigan on the Affirmative Action case, I wonder how many in the opposition is going to court over the Michigan residents that get consideration over non-residents? I wonder if you will be outraged at the extra points the folks in the "Upper Peninsula" get for just living in that part of Michigan? I wonder will you be outraged of my legacy status if I apply to the University of Michigan Law school (Mother, sister and brother all attended the University of Michigan)? So just because my family members attended the University of Michigan, I get extra points or consideration because of that fact alone. I am also sure since my Mother recieved her Ph.D at that University, it might help if she know someone on the Committee of Law Admissions. Now let us say I graduate from the University of Michigan Law School, ya think it might not have an affect how many Big Ten games I do if I ever earn the opportunity to go D1? I don't know, let us put an official that was born in Ann Arbor, Michigan, attended the University of Michigan (Family too now) and put him on the Michigan-Illinois game that will decide the conference title (probably will not happen for a few years, considering Michigan is on probation and all ) compared to an Official that lives in Hammond, IN and attended Florida Atlantic and grew up in St. Petersburg, Florida? I think the choice is a little easier. It may never happen that exact way, but I guess the Big Ten PR machine is not going like the first choice if anything goes wrong in favor of Michigan in this hypothetical game.

Peace