Thread: 4 on the floor
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Had a situation a few weeks ago. Forget the exact circumstances, but I beckoned substitutes B10 and B11. B1 heads to the bench, but I've still got 6 players and I don't let the ball become live. Finally, B2 realizes he's been replaced and he heads to the bench. 5-on-5, ball becomes live. As A1 is bringing the ball up the floor, B's head coach, still thinking he has 6 in the game, reaches onto the floor, grabs B3 by the jersey, and yanks him off the court. So we now have 4-on-5. About 3 seconds later, B's HC realizes his mistake, and B3 sprints back onto the court.

A's fans and coaches are generally losing their mind, demanding a technical foul, "how could we not see that," etc., etc. In accordance with the 10.3.2 case play, we didn't call anything because B3's return was not deceitful, nor did B gain any advantage from it. Honestly, I think I'm the only one that saw what happened; when I brought it up at our meeting the following week, my partners didn't remember that had happened, and several others were saying we should have whacked B's head coach for grabbing his player and pulling him off the floor. (Haven't found any rule support for that idea.)

Thoughts?