View Single Post
Old Tue May 13, 2003, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SC Ump
By the way, I fibbed a little in my statement above, I did ask why we in SC were not implementing the appeal rule. When the NFHS adopted the appeal for softball (I believe two years ago) before they did for baseball, I was told it was because they did not want the two sports to be done differently.

Then last year when NFHS implemented the rule for baseball, I was told that the reason it was not being implemented was because this was the only time that any sports official sees something wrong but does not call it. In every other sport, the onus is with the official to call rule infractions without being appealled to.

I can see the point, but I don't agree.
With all due respect, Dan, WHAT THE HELL DOES THE RULES OF OTHER SPORTS HAVE TO DO WITH SOFTBALL?

Shall we require a scoring runner to drop-kick the ball into the dugout to validate the run. Maybe the goalie (catcher) should be permitted to "check" the approaching runner to prevent a score.

And this year, NFHS moved away from the dark blue shirts for umpires because THEY LOOKED TOO MUCH LIKE BASEBALL UMPIRES.

I go to the clinics and rate crews doing HS games, but I am very glad I no longer work HS games.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I have full confidence in NFHS being a sanctioning body for high school sports, but they need to get out of the rules business.

JMHO,