View Single Post
Old Tue May 13, 2003, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry I've been away for a while and haven't responded to the post. (I've been finishing up some playoff and championship games.)

Me and my partner both agreed it was a chicken s&*% call. That is the exact terms we used afterwards.

The SC high school association for softball and baseball did not adopt the appeal rule as it was implemented by FED over the last few years. I did not try to understand why but just said, "yes boss" when I was told how to call it.

(I still have not been able to find the specific phrase in the FED book about allowing a substitute for an injured player that has not yet touched her awarded bases. I'm sure it's there; I just haven't found it.)

My partner's thinking was that the player was not injured in such a way as to prohibit her from taking her awarded base since she went all the way out to right field. We were thinking the rule used the word "incapacitated" as opposed to "injured."

Discussion by others have led to an even more chicken s&*% call possibility. If this player had been "injured" and if the rule (which I haven't found) states a substitute can touch the awarded bases for an incapacitated player, does that mean that only a sub could replace her, i.e. not a courtesy runner?