View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 07:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Really? You can't envision this possibility? Unless all 4 of his teammates are sitting on the basketball goal - it's completely possible and completely reasonable that the actions by the fouling player prevent you from moving the ball in one direction, but don't prevent you from throwing it in a completely different direction immediately after you realize you can no longer shoot it.
First of all, I have never seen all 4 players standing on the basketball goal. Do people always have to give an extreme example to make a point that is not what we are discussing?

Yes it is possible for a player to get the ball knocked out of their hands that prevents them from actual shooting. That is not what I am saying here. But all fouls do not completely prevent a player from doing something and when they are not prevented from shooting or passing, I will assume if they passed the ball to someone that is open after I have ruled a foul took place (which does not mean I blew the whistle), I am going with what they actually do. If they are able to pass the ball, that tells me that was not their intention. If the put the ball up in a half-azz effort, then I am certainly not going to penalize them from getting FTs. This is at the end of the day where you have to put the big boy or big girl pants on and officiate. And if you feel they were shooting, be my guest and make that ruling. But where I officiate (and yes that matters) no one cares if we consider this a pass and not in the act of shooting if they pass the ball at the last minute. And the situations I am invisioning are usually rather clear. I am not imagining a sitaution where contact was so severe that they pass the ball and are unable to shoot. Then again I have not seen every single game and only can speak from my experience and background. Maybe you have seen something I have not and I certainly support your position to call it the way you see it.

Peace