View Single Post
Old Tue May 13, 2003, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alabamabluezebra
Here in central Alabama, we tend to have many hot, humid, and breezeless days and nights. With many of the parents sitting closer and closer to the field, the cigarette smoke can nearly choke you on some nights. I have been in "B" position as a BU at some parks and have a hard time with the smoke. Do the leagues that you work restrict smoking in the stands? Is this a problem in your area? The city council is considering a smoking free ordinance for public places including ballparks.
As an umpire, not my problem. If residual smoke is too much for you, just call time and move to an area free of smoke. When teams ask why you are not continuing with the game tell them that you will continue when you can comfortable occupy the areas you need to perform your duties.

No, I have not smoked since I was 16. If smoke bothers me in a public place, I move unless the venue is based on assigned areas as in a particular seat. And yes, I know you won't believe it, but I have said things to folks who are inconsiderate in regards to smoking.

I am not in favor of smoking bans in public places, particularly bars. If you don't like the atmosphere, don't go in.

JMHO,