View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
We have a situation where the assignor for our association has gone from not working games a number of years ago to working a full slate of games (MS thru Varsity), he was an official before he became the assignor. Initially he was just doing sub varsity because we needed guys on the court and he has slowly upped his own varsity schedule.

Are working assignors the norm? Anyone have any thoughts to share - there is a contingent of officials in the association that wants to go back to the days where the assignor assigns and the official officiate. Would it change your opinion if you knew that the assignor is also the one individual who sees your annual peer rating sheet which includes how you rated him? Your ranking within the association is solely driven by the composite peer rating.
A) Every assignor I know, in all four sports I work, officiates some. Some more than others, from "only when I'm screwed and someone ditches last minute" to "as many games as humanly possible". As long as the guy's schedule is not such that it makes him a worse assignor, you shouldn't have a problem with it.

B) That said ... in the leagues where we do peer reviews, every single assignor I know takes himself completely out of the review pool - no one in his assigning pool is ever asked to review them, nor should they, for exactly the reasons you state. You might mention this conflict of interest to him, if you have a good working relationship with the guy. Something like, "I don't think anyone has any issues with you working, but evaluating you, and knowing you are our assignor, is rather uncomfortable."

West Houston Mike