View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 01:14pm
Go Blue

Fouled Out Substitution During Free Throw

This was in the Detroit Free Press today.

The Mustangs were ahead, 57-52, with 35 seconds left in overtime when Marian's Kamry Peake was fouled, went to the free-throw line and sank the first of two free throws.

However, Divine Child coach Mary Laney got the attention of an official and said the substitute for her player who had fouled out had not been brought into the game when Peake made the free throw.

The official explained to Marian coach Mary Cicerone that he had to take the point off the scoreboard and admit the substitute, then shoot the free throws.

There was just one problem with that: The sub had entered the game.

"He said the other official blew it because he didn't let her in the game," Cicerone said. "I said: 'But she was in the game, she was standing right here.' Of course, I said it a little more aggressive than that."

For emphasis, Cicerone stomped her right foot on the spot the substitute and the official were standing during the free throw. And that is when an official from across the court hit Cicerone with a technical foul.

"You're really going to give me a technical for your mistake?" Cicerone asked. "He said: 'Yes, I am.' He was embarrassed because he screwed up."

Comments?