Thread: HR, missed base
View Single Post
Old Tue May 13, 2003, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Re: Steve Freix,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C

What makes these misses any different than someone missing a question concerning the runners lane and the position of the throw from the infielder, or missing the question of whether a pitch that bounces before home plate is fouled directly to the catcher (and caught) can or cannot be caught for a third strike out, or incorrectly answering about in what order to place base runners when the ball goes to DBT?

Tee, I felt this question resulted in a very simple, black and white answer as addressed by the rules. It would not include any judgment of timing or any special interpretation needed from a complimentary source (J/R, JEA, BRD, etc.) in order to know the correct answer.

And while I might understand someone relatively new not fully understanding the situation and ruling, I'd not expect that misunderstanding from anyone who's been around the boards for a period of time to have seen the many similar questions regarding the issue. I also would not have expected an incorrect answer from ANY veteran official who has been through repeated years of training and experience.

Many were surprised when Canseco had a flyball bounce off his head into the stands.
It was simply something not expected from someone at that level.

Just my opinion,

Freix