View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper68 View Post
On the way home I had serious thoughts about it being my last year. I try to work hard, study rules, and learn from others.
I'm sure you came to your senses about hanging it up within a day. Don't let one unhinged fan take away something you enjoy doing.

You know this already, but it cannot be said enough: Fans who become disgruntled enough to direct negative comments at the officials (either from the stands or face to face) are lunatics and could not possibly be more ignorant of the rules of the basketball or their own team's/players' shortcomings.

And there is nothing you can do about that short of having a judge mandate that they attend new-officials classes ... which still might not work. Some hoop myths are too firmly entrenched in some people to ever be exorcised.

If it makes you feel any better, just this weekend, I fully visualized and thought about turning around on endline throw-in, and instead of adminstering it, rocketing the ball right in an obnoxious fan's face. But we're better than that, and that's why we're still officiating instead of being out of the game forever.

Keep up the good work!