View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:19am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
Well, coaches do seem to have much more to lose (financially and perhaps career wise) than we h.s. officials.

Most h.s. officials I know are not full time referees. They hold down full time jobs away from the court.

These coaches jobs are usually on the line year to year, contract to contract based on wins and losses. No, it's not the NBA where a firing happens at the whim of the owner (AD), but, it's similar in that regard.

Coaches are out there representing their school, drawing a salary and trying to win. We are out there having fun and picking up a $70 check for our ubiased efforts.
Oh, nonsense. Most of the coaches in my area are teachers. The two most successful coaches in the area are high school math teachers. This is HS basketball, and the games are supposed to be part of the educational process. And I know how much HS coaches make in my neck of the woods -- they make less money coaching than I do officiating.

I get that it's different elsewhere, but I'm not in Texas and we're not talking about six figure football coaches.

I have no delusion that my role is something special, but at the same time part of officials being unbiased arbiters is that the coaches shouldn't be able to curry favor by being able to wield a threat of scratching the officials. Or be able to avoid technical fouls by putting such things in the officials' minds.