Thread: NBA officiating
View Single Post
Old Mon May 12, 2003, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Hello all,

As a newcomer to this forum and one with no officiating background at all, I wanted to get a different perspective on the officials of the NBA. I had a discussion over the holiday on this issue with a few visiting family members who are refs at different levels and I got a little intresting feedback on several issues that make the game more or less enjoyable for me as a fan. Are the conspiracy theories valid. Should they go to instant replay? Should they put another official on the floor? Are they too biased to superstars to the point where no one else has a chance? There are a million questions that can be asked as to why casual fans, players and coaches are more dissatisfied with the officiating in this league and on a wider basis than any other of the major sports. I know that these guys get bashed on a regular basis and that is not what I am looking to do, I just want some honest analysis of the job they do why it is or isn't good and what can be done to make it better. This issue has been one that has been ongoing for a long time now and has only gone more to the forefront as the years go by and I am about to stop watching a sport that I love because I am not 100% sure that I am getting a good, fair, and professional product or if I am getting a more expensive version of wrestling. With that having been said I want to get the opinions of you all who have been in that position and who know how to the do this job and how difficult it is, in order to get a true perspective on what I am watching.