View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 14, 2013, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKremer View Post
My conclusion - working conclusion or I wouldn't ask the question - is that the rule in this situation requires a defender to have arms/hands up in almost an unnatural (perhaps "exaggerated" is the word) manner in order to be in compliance. And it makes me wonder whether the rule essentially asks for too much from a defender. So, as a practical matter, how much leeway do you give a defender in these situations?
The rule, may be more or less strictly interpreted by some officials, but it should allow for a natural position of the arms, not one that strains the shoulder joints. It is pretty easy to differentiate between that and arms that are extended out in front of them.
Quote:
Is it purely a judgment call or do you have some kind of more specific angle guideline that might be useful to players? Just trying to coach the kids to defend without fouling, you understand. Many thanks.
It is judgement.
Quote:
PS
Philosophically, and semi-ridiculously, why should verticality be required in this situation at all: why shouldn't a defender be able to close off the space above just as he can close off space horizontally by taking a charge? Does it just give too much advantage to a taller player?
It would allow too much advantage to the defender. They could essentially hold a shooter down on the floor if they could legally extend their arms over the shooter. If you were to permit such a position, why not also let a defender extend their arms/legs horizontally to the side as well...taking up a space several feet wider than their torso? Basically, it is about balance between offense and defense.