Thread: T or no T?
View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 12, 2013, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

T or no T?

Details:
I'm a 3rd year guy...
Last night's game is a boys JV and I'm the R...
Our state association says that in order for a player to wear a compression sleeve he/she must have an approval letter from on the association letterhead.
During captain's meeting V12 asks if he can wear his because he's got a cut and produces a doctor's note, I say no and suggest he get the trainer to wrap him up. He goes to his coach who comes out to mid-court to make his case. I say the same thing I said to the player, that without an approval letter on state association letter he can't wear it.
Coach: "All the other refs said he can wear it, even the varsity refs."
Me: "I understand that but if he doesn't have the letter he can't wear it."
Coach: "Are you a varsity ref?"
Me: "No."
Coach gives me what I felt was the "I thought so" look and walks away.

The game starts and it's a competitive game and both sides are pretty aggressive. V kids are pretty mouthy. For example they yell "And one!" (my personal pet peeve) and after the second time we warn that we won't put up with that anymore. Additionally we're getting a lot of "Traveling!" from their bench. Another warning of "No more of that." For the most part they respond. We had a drive to the basket and a kid starts to yell "And one." but stops halfway through his "one."

Sure enough there's a rebound and V54 grabs it, swings his elbow and makes contact with the opponent's head. I've got it all the way and call the POE intentional. I report and then turn to answer the coach's question.

Coach: "What did he do?!" He's a couple of steps on the floor, arms out, quite animated.
Me: "He made contact above the shoulders with his elbow. That's an intentional this year."
Coach: "That's not an intentional! No way!"
Coach to my partner (before I can get out of there and administer): "You gotta help him out here."
Me: Whack.

At the half my evaluator told me he didn't like the T, saying that I've gotta let the coach vent a little.
I felt disrespected by the coach...

Thoughts?