View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 03:58pm
Huck Finn

Years ago I heard Dave Libbey speak and he said we (officials) should have the game by the short and curlies (I hope that isn't offensive to anyone) four minutes into the game. Now, he was basing that time frame on the media timeouts he was used to, but he meant we should understand what the offense and defense are trying to do on each end. Knowing this, and the personnel each team has, is the first key to how much the crew needs to move. Teams will try to run the same plays/sets throughout the game so things will likely settle into a pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
One thing that messes folks up a bunch, though, is the reluctance to close down when the ball goes opposite. I find that if I do that it makes the decision to move much easier because there's less distance to go. It also makes it easier to adjust to the quick skip back in the corner.
Great point. Rotating in this manner is a great help for the crew as opposed to someone starting a rotation when they are half way between the lane line and where the three-point line meets the end line. It is also much more widely acceptable if the Lead goes half way across and comes back based on the location of the ball/players. Once of the immediates - drive, pass, shot - could happen when the Lead has went half way across the lane and a rotation will mess things up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Usually, he could handle that better as a trail, though -- taking a step towards the division line. I'm not abandoning the other players - I'm watching them as I'm rotating over. If the ball's in the C's primary so he's on ball long enough for me to come across, I am going to do so.
I was going to agree and add something else then I read this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
If the ball is on C's side, I would rather rotate over so I am in position to see the post players as they come cross the key rather than wait for them to go and then follow them over there...and to say that your state emphasizes moving to get better angles so you are comfortable rotating less seems like a contradiction to me for some reason...
I agree.