View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 11:36am
Get away from me, Steve.

3-person thoughts

I'm still in one of those places where we work a mix of 2-person and 3-person. When I work 3-person, I'm working with a lot of different people, as well.

Few people here rotate enough. I've worked with so many officials who hesitate, hesitate, hesitate, and in my mind, I'm screaming "Go!" Then the L goes once the ball is already in the post -- too late, as far as I'm concerned. Some of these guys think there's nothing wrong with the C officiating on ball for an extended period while they just hang out in the close down position. On the other hand, there are times I'll go and realize once I get there that I'd actually be better back where I was -- and I'll go back. Really nothing lost -- I'm just working for the best look, the best feel.

I actually started thinking that maybe it's me -- I go *too much*. I mean, some possessions I'll go 2-3 times or more in a half-court set - back and forth. Then I worked with 2 guys I'd never worked with before earlier this week. Let's just say that my resume will never, ever be as good as theirs. It was comforting to notice that they rotated as much as I did and that the three of us really felt on the same page -- like we were one cohesive unit working in tandem.

No clue why I'm writing this other than I wanted to start a dialogue about this and say that there's a reason clinicians tell you during camp to "look for reasons to rotate" other than they want you to get practice at it.