Thread: Backboard
View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 31, 2012, 05:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
I was watching a 30 for 30 piece last night, and they had them I suppose at the University of Illinois, and other high school gyms. I had seen them on WGN when they broadcast the state championships. I was just wondering why they would use them in the first place since the square ones had been around for ages.

Just an oddity I noticed, and was seeking some information for my own personal self.
Well that was like 1984. That has obviously been over 25 years ago. What was done then has changed drastically over the years. And I would bet that most high schools at that time used those backboards. I cannot speak if there was a rules issue, but I bet it was what most schools used and probably going to other backboards might have cost some money at the time. They probably went with what everyone was used to. But you cannot watch something that old and think that applies today. Heck the IHSA was one of the first in the country to use 3 Person for all levels of their post season in the mid-90s. And a lot has changed since that time too.

Peace