View Single Post
Old Fri May 09, 2003, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
[B

Quote:
Originally posted by VaASAump
As for ASA, well, CecilOne already stated that one. No where in rule book does it state that pitcher has to hold the ball in front of body. ... snip ...
Hypothetically, because the "shoulders square" and "holding the ball" are both part of 6-1, a possible implication is that they must be done jointly, not in sequence. Then the pitch starts with the separation of the hands and (my interpretation) the batter has to be able to see that to be legal. But then 6-1-B and 6-1-C can't be done jointly, so that negates that view.

However, all that is irrelevant because you can't call what you can't see, so if the hand joining is not visible, it didn't happen and it's illegal. Nice of NCAA to be so specific. [/B]
A. If the ball is not BEHIND the pitcher, it must be in FRONT of the pitcher.

B. So, if the bare hand leaves your sight behind the glove, you are calling it illegal because the pitcher didn't show you that the hands were actually joined?

I hope I'm reading this wrong as I wouldn't want to be the umpire who needed to sell that one.