View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

First, 10-3-6b and 10-4-1c allow us to deal with players and bench personnel (including coaches) when it comes to profanity. No one is allowed to commit unsporting acts, including...

Quote:
Using profane or inappropriate language or obscene gestures
The rule doesn't say anything about where that language is directed. I mentioned this last year but in NYC publics we have a mandate to follow 10-3-6b/10-4-1c to the letter. It's accompanied by a Dept. of Ed. rule that prohibits the use of profanity. It has cleaned up a lot of the language problems. It wasn't in a huddle but last year I rang up a coach who dropped an f-bomb after his team threw the ball away in OT. He wasn't happy with the T but he didn't argue because he knew the mandate. By the way, his team won.

Second, parents will support us if we call a technical on a head coach because they swore at their own players. When I worked Catholic ball our assignor told us to ring up coaches who swore in their huddles because the parents who sat behind the bench had started complaining to school administrators. I wouldn't think any parent wants to hear a coach drop an f-bomb at their kid. After all, coaches - at least in H.S. - are also teachers. We wouldn't allow it in a classroom and a game is a coach's classroom.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)