View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 29, 2012, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Would be the same result under NFHS. The philosophy is to kill it if noticed as a dead ball foul to prevent it turning into Illegal participation with a 15 yard penalty.

You could change it but all B/R has to do is jump offside as Robt. said so there is more than one way to skin a cat.

You can't legislate every conceivable potential inequity out of the game. Cincinnati just out coached Cutcliffe there.
I missed the game, so I don't know if there was other conversation to indicate it was intentional. I think we've all seen plenty of special teams plays with confusion regarding who is supposed to be on the field that, without further knowledge, it is plausible that there was legitimate confusion.

I "took" a point off the board in a game this year by waiting until VERY late to verify my 12-man B count on a try. On the subsequent play after enforcement, the kick was blocked. In hindsight, I think in the future if it took that long, I would allow a snap to occur since the penalty is the same (half the distance) in either case in my old situation. The reason I mention that is because if it is almost simultaneous with the snap, I would probably now tend to allow the play to occur and give A the 15 yards + re-try opportunity. I would do THAT, because as you mentioned, there is a much less unsporting way to ice the kicker.

And, as provided for in the rules, if they continue to ice the kicker as such, WH can consider it an unsporting act and take necessary action, including the award of a score.