View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 01:50pm
Broadcaster

Illegal substitution to ice the kicker

Cincinnati vs. Duke in the Belk Bowl. Bearcats are out of timeouts and Duke is lining up for a 53 yard field goal. Either right before the snap or right as the snap occurred (I don't recall which) Cincy sends out a 12th defender, prompting a whistle and a flag. As the whistle is blown the ball is already snapped and kicked, and the ball goes through the uprights. But with the play blown dead, no points are awarded. The yards were marked off, but the next snap, the kicker misses the 48 yard attempt. Cincy's benefits from the intentional penalty.

As I read the rule, the officials got it right. Blow the play dead as there were 12 men on the field when the snap was imminent or had just occurred.

So, I have two questions.

1. What is the NFHS correlation? Can a team without timeouts run a 12th defender out to "ice" the kicker?

2. Should the rule be changed? I would like to see the play be played out and let the offense choose to let the play stand or accept the penalty...within reason. If the whole team runs out on the field, then blow the play dead, obviously.

What are your thoughts on this? I'll hang up and listen.