View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 14, 2012, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

If your assigner and partners are on board with everything that’s one set of worries out the window. Look in your IAABO manual and try to absorb as much as you can. Watch some NCAAM games to get an idea of the rotations and switches (they’re the same as IAABO if I remember correctly) but also focus on certain areas. When the ball is in the frontcourt, pretend you’re the L/C/T and look at the action in that person’s PCA. Just try to get yourself as comfortable as you can before you step on the court.

Then, when you step on the court, officiate the game. Don’t get so concerned with where you’re supposed to be that you miss a call (though you’re going to miss a few calls for that very reason…we all did it when we started so don’t beat yourself up for it when it happens). Just deal with what’s in front of you. If you handle your segment of the world properly (i.e., have a good game in your primary) you’ll be way ahead of the game. If your partners are truly versed in the Art of Three-Person they’ll be able to compensate. Regarding switches: when in doubt, fill in the hole on the court. Again, your partners will know – hopefully – where they’re supposed to go. Once they get to their spots, you go to yours and everyone will be fine. As was said earlier, the three of you are the only ones in the building who are going to know you’re in the wrong spot.

Once the confusion dies down and you get a decent amount of games under your belt I guarantee you a few things: you’ll become a better two-person official and you’ll never want to do two-person again.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)