View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 14, 2012, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Wasn't indicating that I "noticed more fouls" - merely that I paid closer attention. My experience has been that teams become more aggressive as they begin to feel more superior. When this happens, there is a tendency to begin using that to their advantage. When a player begins to take or create advantage of this situation, I tend pay closer attention to these sorts of things.

A few years ago when I was coaching, there was a team that was often much quicker and more athletic then their opponents. They to their credit were very good at stealing the ball with quick hands. They would full court press and look to slap the ball away from the dribblers as they were pressing. I have no doubt in my mind that many of their take aways were not done without some contact to the dribblers hand/arm. If the official watching this game doesn't apply a greater sense of urgency to watch this situation, it most definitely creates an advantage for one team.

Take that same scenario where the team is more passive with their full court pressure, maybe their philosophy is to make the other team throw the ball away or simply to take time off the shot clock. The official is not going to be watching for those same sorts of fouls as in situation A.

I don't see this as any different than having a discussion in your pre-game about Team A who is notorious for setting bad screens. If you know a team is more agressive, you are going to look for situations that take advantage of this.