View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_K View Post
I've bumped up into a more competitive level this year and I'm noticing the teams that win, are a lot more aggressive on defense. It's almost like they come right out and test the officials to see how tight the game will be called. Teams can rack up quite a few points before you guys start tightening up the calls.

If you were a coach, how would you tell your team to play from an aggressive standpoint? I find our team gets behind on the score if we wait too long on a game where the officials are wanting the kids to "play through it".

Thanks!
When I coached, we scouted the officials - we knew which officials let kids bang and which ones called it tight. We also told our kids, make the adjustment - if an official is going to call you for a hand check 22 feet away from the basket, don't hand check. I also think this is the difference between teams with good Basketball IQ and those that do not. Teams with good IQ can make adjustments.

On the flip side, as an official, I also notice teams that are a lot more aggressive. I am more likely to call fouls on a team that is using their aggressiveness vs. a subpar team. I worked a game the other night where one team pressed the entire game. I became a lot more in tune with defensive girls coming through the back to deflect a ball. If this has been a once or twice a game occurrence, I probably don't call it as tight.