View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 13, 2012, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonx View Post
I did a JV game and in the first half we called 42 fouls. 5th year officiating for both me and my partner. Both teams were pressing hard. Lots of arm barring, hand checking, reaching. I was banging them everytime to send a message. Lost of displacement and redirecting by defenders with body hands, elbow forearms.

At half time my partner was saying that some of those fouls should be let go because the offensive player would of not lost the ball or would of gone pass the defender.

There were some officials in the locker room getting ready for the varsity game after and was telling us that we called way too many fouls. The guy said he was counting them. It seems the discussion was like let things go, calling to many fouls extends the game etc. Needless to say, 2nd half not that much pressing.

Maybe I am over thinking this but I get on the floor and if it is a long game I am there to call it no matter how many fouls or how long. I read somewhere in the NHFS rule book, that we are suppose to call the game regardless of score or situation in the game. After each game I work, I wont to come out of it that I call the perfect game.
I'm another in the "had to be there" camp but sometimes it happens. I had a GV game two years ago where we shot 80 FTs (!!!) and six girls fouled out. However, when I thought about it on the way home I didn't think we called anything that didn't need to be called since the girls were playing aggresively to the point of being rough. If kids were being displaced then you and your partner had to do something and it appears the players eventualy figured things out.

I agree with the "don't pay attention to the varsity guys" comment. They're concerned with getting home and they probably did the same thing when they were JV officials. If they gave you some feedback other than they were counting fouls then by all means listen. Telling you they were counting the fouls - which you and your partner could've done if you really wanted to - isn't constructive.

I also agree with the earlier comment: don't call fouls to "send a message." You're already sending a message when you call a foul: what that player did put his/her opponent at a disadvantage not intended by the rules.

All this being said, your partner had a point. Remember, even though these were JV players they're still in high school which means there's a certain amount of contact they should be able to deal with. You call the obvious of course, but you'll learn there are times you can let the play work itself out. Maybe A1 gets bumped a little out top but plays through it at gets to the hoop and scores. Play continues, A's coach is happy because his team got the two points and you've set a standard regarding what kind of contact will be allowed.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)