View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 13, 2012, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonx View Post
I did a JV game and in the first half we called 42 fouls. 5th year officiating for both me and my partner. Both teams were pressing hard. Lots of arm barring, hand checking, reaching. I was banging them everytime to send a message. Lost of displacement and redirecting by defenders with body hands, elbow forearms.

At half time my partner was saying that some of those fouls should be let go because the offensive player would of not lost the ball or would of gone pass the defender.

There were some officials in the locker room getting ready for the varsity game after and was telling us that we called way too many fouls. The guy said he was counting them. It seems the discussion was like let things go, calling to many fouls extends the game etc. Needless to say, 2nd half not that much pressing.

Maybe I am over thinking this but I get on the floor and if it is a long game I am there to call it no matter how many fouls or how long. I read somewhere in the NHFS rule book, that we are suppose to call the game regardless of score or situation in the game. After each game I work, I wont to come out of it that I call the perfect game.
Maroon,
A few thoughts:
1. HTBT is clearly true, BUT...
2. I think your partner had a good point in terms of "letting kids try to play through some things."
3. If you call the "perfect game", it will be the first.
4. #3 can be your BIGGEST enemy. EXPERIENCE will allow you to make a decision as to whether the "contact=a foul or contact is incidental and not a foul".
5. You indicated you were "sending a message, every time". Was the message being received?

As a previous poster asked, is there anything you could have done differently?

The game of basketball can be very difficult to officiate. As officials, we have to keep the game safe for the players. At the same time, we want the players to feel that they were playing the game of basketball and not a free throw competition. Sometimes, the players act as though they would really prefer a free throw competition. Did you call too many fouls? Without seeing the game, I cannot say for sure. At the same time, there are some questions you can ask yourself that can make you a better referee. As a fifth year official, you are experienced, but you will continue to get better over time -- if you are willing to review your performance after each game and make adjustments when (and only when) needed.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by CMHCoachNRef; Thu Dec 13, 2012 at 12:02am.