View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Late game foul/substitution

I've got a situation that did not happen, but I thought of it, and I'm interested in hearing everyone's thoughts.

In a district championship game, team A is losing 59-60 to team B with 10 seconds left in the game and the gym is rockin'. Team A's best player, A1 takes the ball to the hoop, hopes for contact, does not get it, throws up a prayer shot that misses, and the ball lands in the hands of A5 (team A's center who has a career FT percentage of 42%). A5 shoots, misses and gets fouled as time expires. The foul was not hard and A5 does not appear to have suffered any injury whatsoever. In fact, he doesn't even know whats going on. After the officials explain to him that the he needs to shoot two free throws with the lane cleared to win the game, he grabs his arm and says he's hurt.

Team A's coach sends a sophomore (97% FT shooter, played JV all season but has been called up for tournaments) to the scores table to check in and shoot the free throws.

I like the college rule where the other coach can pick a remaining player on the floor to shoot, but in high school the sub comes off the bench to shoot.

What would you do?