View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 09, 2012, 11:53am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Sophmore boys game today, I was standing at midcourt ready to hand the ball to the thrower-in-er. I hand it too him and he passes the ball to A2 on the court. Horn sounds and B6 walks on to the court to sub for B1. I blow the play dead and tell B6 to get off the court and make him wait. Until the next opportunity to sub. I don't think I handled the situation by rule but no one complained and my varsity official said I did it correctly. I was just going to ignore the horn because I knew it was for a sub, but the player walked on to the court.

I think by rule it should have been a technical foul charged to someone (team, player? I don't know.) Some advice on the proper way to handle this in the future would be appreciated.
Just for comparison:

In FIBA, once the ball is live in the thrower-in's hands, the substitution opportunity is over, and when B6 enters the court, you could only bring him in if you call him for a T, which would create another substitution opportunity.

But if we decide to not call a T, I am tempted to inform B6 to get off the court and continue play. If that doesn't or won't go smoothly, kill the play, reset the clock to what it should have been, re-do the throw-in and B6 can in at the next substitution opportunity.